On this page I will be giving my opinion on etiquette. Ham radio is based
on a number of "Gentleman's agreements" that should be taken to heart. Other people will disagree with some
of what I say here, and some of what I say here is actually codified and can be brought to the FCC's attention,
so read up on the do's and don'ts in the Part 97 rules.
General Radio Etiquette
- Be nice
- In other words, no obscene, Indecent or profane broadcasts. If you wouldn't say it in front of your
parents then don't say it.
- Enunciate clearly
- Express your words in a clear and concise manner. Hearing someone mumble can be annoying when you
know they can do better.
- Keep your rambling to a minimum
- Yes, rag chewing is a thing, but pause once in a while to see if anyone else would like to get in on
the conversation. You might actually learn something worthwhile. AND there may be an emergency
communication that may needs to take place
- If you're trying to buy a product or a service don't do it on the air
- There are exceptions, but this is specified in the FCC rule's pt 97